AAWHG photo competition
Opens on 1 June and closes on 1 August 2022.
Wildlife hazard management in pictures
‘A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it—it is in one word, effective.’ Irving Penn
To celebrate the positive and proactive management of aviation wildlife hazards, the Australian Aviation Wildlife Hazard Group is holding a photographic competition. It is open to all Australian citizens, except for AAWHG committee members.
With the disruption caused by the pandemic, and the fact that the AAWHG was unable to run the planned forum in 2021, we have carried the photo competition over to this year’s forum. Anyone who entered last year’s competition will be automatically entered into this year’s, unless you wish to withdraw your entries.
Industry members are invited to submit digital photographs which depict the many facets of effective wildlife hazard management: wildlife ID, monitoring, habitat management, dispersal etc. in the aviation context.
- Entries should be submitted in a high-resolution image format (.jpg or .png) greater than 2500 pixels, with a minimum file size of 2MB, and a maximum of 5MB. Images that do not meet the size limits may be discounted from the competition.
- Enter by uploading your image/s using the entry form below.
- By submitting an entry, each contestant agrees to the rules of the contest and warrants that their entry complies with all requirements set out in the official rules.
- The competition opens on 1 June and closes on 1 August 2022.
- Judges will make their selection based on the following criteria:
- the extent to which the photograph captures the essence of the contest theme (50 per cent);
- creativity (25 per cent); and
- composition, clarity, and technical quality (25 per cent).
- Decisions of the judges are final.
The second prize winner will receive a complimentary registration to the AAWHG forum to be held in September 2022, valued at $500?
The third prize winner will receive a wildlife ID pack, comprising two Australian field guides: The Australian Bird Guide by Peter Menkhorst and others, revised edition, August 2019; and A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia by Peter Menkhorst and Frank Knight, 3rd edition: pack RRP $103.95
Terms and Conditions
- The photo must be your original creation—no copyrighted images may be used.
- The participant must certify and warrant that the submitted photo(s) does not violate the rights of a third party or any copyright. The AAWHG is not responsible for intellectual property violations that might have resulted through the submissions of photos.
- By submitting their photos to the AAWHG, participants agree to grant the AAWHG free-of-charge, the right to use their photos in any manner and media, including without limitation, the right to publish, adapt, distribute, copy, display or translate in printed or electronic media even if they are not the winning entries.
- The AAWHG agrees to mention the full name of the chosen contestant when used in AAWHG publications, or other related materials.
- People in photographs. If your photo features people, you must secure a signed model release from each recognisable person in the photograph, including the entrant, and submit it at the time of entry.
- Suggested words:
I hereby grant permission to the Australian Aviation Wildlife Hazard Group to use my photographic likeness. I hereby grant the photographer and the Australian Aviation Wildlife Hazard Group the right to use and publish the photograph, in whole or in part, in any medium, and to include my name in a caption of the photo. I hereby waive my right to inspect or approve any copy that is used in connection with the photograph.